Learn about urban food growing and running community gardens at our training sessions which cover a number of themes from climate resilience to growing for nature.
Covid-19 update: Until further notice our sessions will be run online. See below for information. Read our advice on Coronavirus and community growing.
We have moved our training programme online for now. We're running a mixture of short and longer workshops. Recordings of some of our sessions are also available to our members on the Capital Growth member's dashboard.
These free 45 minutes are run via Zoom and booking is required. If you can, a suggested £5 donation would be gratefully received towards the trainers' time and expertise.
Fermenting for Beginners with Rodrigo Chenkel from Organiclea
Wed 1 July 18:00-18:45
10 Easy Crops for Beginners with Paul Richens
Wed 8 July 18:00-18.45
These longer sessions have a small charge (£5-10) to cover the cost of the trainers' time. Bursaries are available if you're on a low income or unwaged. For enquiries about bursaries or group discounts, bespoke training or site visits contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Big Yield, Small Space - make the most of your garden with Sophie Verhaegen from Growing Communities
Wed 15 July 18:00-18:45
Foraging for Medicinal Plants with Rasheeqa Ahmad from Mobile Apothecary
Wed 22 July 18:00-19:30
Growing Alternative Crops for a Changing Climate with Helena Dove from the Kitchen Garden at Kew Gardens
Wed 5 August 18:00-19:30
Vegan DIY Food Fermentation with Sean Roy Parker
Wed 12 August 18:00-19:30
Introduction to Medicinal Plants with Elena Trivelli from Capital Growth
Wed 19 August 18:00-19:30
We are planning to make these available to our members shortly.
Introduction to Permaculture with Susannah Hall from Permablitz London - Wed 3 June 18.00-19.30
What’s happening in Your Garden? with Capital Growth's Elena Trivelli and Janelle Conn - Wed 10 June 18.00-18.45An Introduction to medicinal plants with Elena Trivelli from Capital Growth
Tue 23 June 18:00-18:45
Build and Care for Your Wormery: Recycle Kitchen Waste and Feed Your Garden with Elena Trivelli from Capital Growth - Wed 17 June 18:00-18:45
Introduction to companion planting for pest management with Julie Smith from Sow and Grow- Wed 6 May 18:00-18.45
Grow your own herbal tea with Nat Mady from Hackney Herbal - Wed 13 May 18.00-18.45
Organic growing for beginners with Elena Trivelli from Capital Growth - Wed 20 May 18.00-19.30
The organic gardener's guide to pest management with Julie Smith from Sow and Grow - Wed 27 May 18.00-19.30
Build and Care for Your Wormery: Recycle Kitchen Waste and Feed Your Garden with Elena Trivelli from Regent's Park Allotment Garden - Wed 22 April 18:00-18.45
Grow Your Own Shopping with Kate Poland from Union of Hackney Gardens - Wed 29 April 18.00-18.45
Here are some of the training sessions we had planned for June and beyond. We are hoping these may run, and are looking to reschedule those missed in April and May.
- Climate resilience: Sustainability and growing for the future
- Grow for nature: Improving biodiversity, habitat creation and growing organically
- Growing Connections: Growing for health, wellbeing and community
- Growing Culture: Focus on London's food growing heritage
- Growing enterprise: Focus on enterprising ideas and selling produce
- Get children growing: Engage children and young people outdoors
- Asian Veg Plot: Korean kimchi, Japanese aubergines, a Vietnamese herb garden and more Wed 3rd 18:00. Myatt’s Fields Park Greenhouse, SE5 9RA
- Fermentation for Beginners: Sauerkraut and Kimchi Sun 7th 10:30. Surrey Docks Farm, SE16 5ET
- Teaching the Primary Curriculum Through Food Growing and Outdoor Space Wed 10th 18:00. Reay Primary School, SW9 0EN
- Growing Alternative Crops for a Changing Climate Fri 26th 10:30. Streatham Common Community Garden, SW16 3BX
- Growing Autumn and Winter Veg Wed 2nd 18:00. The Regent’s Park Allotment Garden, NW1 4NR
- How to Process Linen from Stalk to Fibre (Part 2) Sat 12th Castle Climbing Centre Garden, N4 2HA
- Growing Autumn and Winter Veg Wed 16th 18:00. The Regent’s Park Allotment Garden, NW1 4NR
- Fermental Health: Preserving surplus food Wed 23rd 18:00. Streatham Common Community Garden, SW16 3BX
- Mushroom Cultivation for Beginners: Grow your own oysters Sat 3rd 10:30. The Regent’s Park Allotment Garden, NW1 4NR
- Rethinking Urban Weeds Sun 11th 14:00. Surrey Docks Farm, SE16 5ET
- Pruning and Winter Management of a Fruit Garden Sat 24th 10:30. Streatham Common Community Garden SW16 3BX
Booking & Payment
Workshops usually start at £15 for Capital Growth member gardens (member rates apply to all Capital Growth members, staff and volunteers) and London Food Link Supporters. Advance booking via Eventbrite is essential. If you're not already a member, why not join? It's free and easy to register with Capital Growth.
Bursaries are available for the unwaged. For enquiries about bursaries or group discounts, bespoke training or site visits contact email@example.com.
Support our work
Your donation will help communities grow more food in gardens across London.