Home What's the big idea? I want to join Your local spaces Training Events Our supportCompetitionsGrow for GoldGreen Corner AwardsDiscounts & SponsorsGrow to SellFundraising SupportLocal networksResourcesFind landTeam DaysHelp Capital GrowthCorporate VolunteeringGrow more food Themes News & press Million meals Capital Bee Publications Contact us Donate Login
Grow for Gold competition 2012
To commemorate the Olympic year, Capital Growth launched in February 2012 the Grow for Gold competition with five cathegories. Grow for Gold closed in September 2012 and we are happy to announce the lucky winners!
Fred Foot from Bulldog Tools judging Abbey Garderns
The Bee Friendly Food garden, sponsored by the Organic Gardening catalogue
This category highlighted the importance of creating a community food growing space for London’s wildlife.
- Winner: Fairlie Grow (Tower Hamlets)
- Second place: The Cordwainers Garden (Hackney)
- Third place: Keepers Lodge (Lambeth)
The Learning food garden, sponsored by Victoriana Nursery
This category focused on the benefits of growing food in an educational setting.
- Winner: Chisenhale Primary School (Tower Hamlets)
- Second place: Low Hall Nursery and Childrens centre (Waltham Forest)
- Third place: Horniman Primary School (Lewisham)
The People’s food garden, sponsored by East End Homes
This category was all about community engagement; an essential part of community food growing.
- Winner: Crystal Palace Transition Town (Lambeth)
- Second place: Lordship North Edible Garden (Hackney)
- Third place: Edible Golden Lane (City of London)
The Inspiring food garden, sponsored by Bulldog Tools
This category highlighted the overall benefits of growing food communally.
- Winner: Abbey Gardens (Newham)
- Second place: Castle Climbing Centre (Hackney)
- Third place: Food from the Sky (Haringey)
The Enterprise food garden, sponsored by the Seed Pantry
This category focused on the importance of fundraising through the sales of produce to ensure the sustainability of a community food growing space.
- Winner: Lambeth Poly (Lambeth)
- Second place: Core Arts at Canning Town (Newham)
- Third place: Bee interested in Portobello Road (K&C)
Special thanks to our sponsors for the incredible prizes:
- Bulldog Tools
- The Organic Gardening catalogue
- Victoriana Nurseries
- Eat End Homes
- The Cookery School
- The Seed Pantry
Grow for Gold is proudly sponsored by