Training Hubs & Partners
Capital Growth have been delivering food growing training in London since 2009 and in 2016 we formalised our Hub/Partner application process, to co-host training and bring more courses to more people across London. We deliver training around 5 broad themes:
- Urban food growing - learn about the key elements of urban food growing, including planning a site, principles of organic growing and soil life.
- Growing enterprise - targeted at growers who want to sell what they grow or develop good food enterprises.
- Getting children growing - these sessions will provide anyone working with children and young people the skills to run effective sessions in a garden environment and offer practical ideas to link food growing to the curriculum.
- Grow for it! - from foraging to wild bees and permaculture, these sessions are a way to learn more about other topics related to food growing.
- Growing Culture - focusing on London's food growing heritage and how it has contributed to the culture of families, communities and our city.
2019 Training Hubs
- Christchurch Primary School, Wandsworth Christ Church is the first primary school in London to be awarded Learning Outside the Classroom Gold Level accreditation. They also hold RHS Level 5 Certificate as a 5 star gardening school.
- Hackney Herbal at the Trowbridge Centre Trowbridge Gardens is the home of Hackney Herbal. The garden is a mix of edible, medicinal and functional plants designed to promote health and wellbeing.
- Permablitz London Community organisation, Permablitz London engages people in implementing permaculture-designed, low-maintenance, wildlife-friendly edible spaces. Our showcase gardens are at Cecil Sharp House, Camden and Nubian Life Centre, White City.
- Skip Garden A movable food garden run by the environmental education charity Global Generation, located in Kings Cross. Food is grown in skips, containers, a polytunnel and glasshouse.
- Spitalfields City Farm, Tower Hamlets An educational City Farm focusing on the teachings of growing, cooking & eating healthy food, animal husbandry and general respect for nature, outdoors and each other.
- Sydenham Gardens is a unique wellbeing centre utilising its gardens and nature reserve to help people in their recovery from mental and physical ill-health in Lewisham.
- The Regent's Park Allotment Garden, Westminster Capital Growth’s flagship site offering volunteering, training and events for hundreds of Londoners every year.
2019 Training Partners
- Beckenham Place Park, Lewisham
- Cody Dock, Newham
- Edible Landscapes London, Haringey
- Rainbow Grow, Hackney
- Ruskin Park Garden, Lambeth
- St Mary's Secret Garden, Hackney
- Whetstone Stray Allotments, Barnet
- Wild Cat Wilderness, Lewisham
Read more about how our events nuture our network on this Shared Assets blog.